Monday, September 6, 2010

Intro: The Storming Period

Well, the honeymoon is officially over. I have exited out of the "Wow, I'm in Korea; it sure is neat!" phase and entered into the, "Man I'm craving a tuna melt and my own bed" phase.

This last week has been difficult for a multitude of reasons...all of which I feel it might be prudent not to post within the context of a blog. However, I'm slowly settling into both the routines and schedule of what will be my life in Korea for the next year.

Every morning, I wake up at 6 and walk over to the main house to take a military shower (shutting off the water while soaping up). I get dressed in the bathroom and slog back over to my room, where I put on my face and attempt to pump myself up by blasting the Music of the Day.

Drive to school around 7:20-7:30 with the host family and then get together my stuff for the first lesson plan of the day. One thing I have to say- between the hour walk home and the school cafeteria food, and my persisting ineptitude with chopsticks, Korea is the best diet plan ever.

Every day is at least four classes- usually the last and first ones of the day. After school sometimes I grab a burger with the rest of the Naju crew and sometimes I just come straight home. Truth be told, I'm exhausted by the time I fall into my bed.

I spend some quality time with the family; soon to be transferred to an hour of English tutoring for me every night.

I find myself living for the weekends here. I'm not sure if it's because it's the only glimpse I have of the freedom and independence (both socially and emotionally) that used to characterize my life, or whether it's just a much needed escape from having to be "on" all the time, into the much missed arms of friends that have already begun to feel like family.

There's really nothing that bonds you quite like either a 7 day trip into the wilderness or a year together as foreigners in a country where whatever you're doing, it's probably wrong.

1 comment:

  1. (1) I too am over the "wow!" factor

    (2) It has been a curious thing for me, too, now that look forward to the weekends as much as I do...and they never seem to last long enough (to be expected)

    (3) "multitude of reasons..." I may be able to guess a few -- sometimes filtering on your blog may be for the best...I am sure meeting with the Naju Crew has helped at least.

    Enjoy your "off" moments when you have them.

    I hope you are enjoying your students and classes in the midst of the cultural mine-field of mistakes, and still appreciating the small things. Life is good :)

    Good luck this week! See you in Kyeongju --it'll be here before we know it!
    -Erik

    ReplyDelete